Saturday, September 23, 2017

When I found out I was pregnant, I was in utter shock! I wasn’t ready for the change that was about to come. I didn’t know how to react, until I felt that little flutter.

That amazing little flutter.

That lets you know that, indeed there is life miraculously growing inside you. And God chose me to be this child’s mother.

surprised is what I wanted to be when my child was born. I didn’t want to know the sex of my unborn baby until the day that he chose to arrive. It was that 20 week ultrasound visit.

I was firm.

I wanted that surprise.

My son’s father didn’t.

I stood strong in my decision and stepped out the room so that he could get the news. While I was positive at this point that I would now find out  before he was born, I figured I still has some time before he slipped.

We were half-way home.

These were his words exactly,

“He has a big head!”


No seriously, really?

We had a good laugh and rejoiced knowing that in a few 20 weeks or so, our son would be here.

However, that’s not the only thing we found out that day. I had a fibroid, sitting directly on top of my cervix. The ultrasound tech did voice his concern, and that he would give the information to the doctor.

It couldn’t be that serious, right?

If it was then they would have done something at that point… Right?

A few days later I got a call from the Maternal Fetal Specialist.

My heart jumped.

She said I just needed to come in and get another sonogram.

Of course my first question was is my child okay.

She assured me they just wanted to get a closer look and that they had better equipment than my office had.

That was a relief! I scheduled the appointment for a few days later, on my day off.

That morning I started cleaning before my appointment. Got some food out to cook when I got back home and set out to the Specialist office. I didn’t fully finish the laundry, but that was okay, I would just get it when I returned.

This sonogram was  3-D, so I got to see my little man all up close and personal. It was exciting to see him now know he was actually a boy.

I seen him pee. which I got oddly excited about.

We headed into another room to discuss what they found on the sonogram. One thing I knew for sure that this birth would be a C-Section. Both techs had already mentioned it, but for sure that was going to be the extent of all this. Everyone seemed fairly good about it.

Until the doctor stepped in the room.

The fibroid that was sitting on top of my cervix was causing me to prematurely dilate and was only getting bigger. Then I heard,

Bed Rest.


May not make it.

All that stuck was, “May not make it”. Now, those may not have been his exact words, but it didn’t matter, it was the truth, this was my reality. I bawled. He assured me that bed rest wouldn’t be too bad.


My least concern was bed rest! My baby, the flutter, I literally seen him on the screen a few minutes before and now he  may be gone the next day! I called my boyfriend… hysterically to say the least. They had to put me in a separate room and close the door. I just needed my son to be okay, to make it several more weeks.

They rolled me over to the hospital and put me up in the High-Risk Unit, tomorrow I will have my Cerclage placed. If you are unfamiliar with that procedure, they doctor goes in and basically ties up your cervix to prevent  from dilating it any further, once it’s time to have the baby, it will be cut. This procedure was a little awkward, as I was completely awake in the OR room having just an epidural. The most awkward part about it was that, at any moment something could go totally and completely wrong and I would have been aware of every single moment… and there would be nothing else I could do. Luckily it went well and I was taken back to my room.

It was pretty boring in that room for the next 26 days. I had my little routine;

Get up.

Go to the bathroom/shower (I could do that, which felt like a field trip)

Eat breakfast

do my bed stretches

Try to crochet (the housekeeper taught me 🙂 )

Watch Sister Sister

Eat Lunch

And then it just continued to get more boring from there. It was day in and day out the same thing. But I never once, got upset that I was in there. I knew why I was there and had every intention of keeping my little guy in there as long as possible. I was told that I would be able to go home and finish out my bed rest at 32 weeks. About a week after my cerclage was placed, it broke and that plan was thrown out the window.

A couple of weeks went by, and then the real fun began. It was a Friday night, May 15th to be exact, my boyfriend had just left to run home. I was 25 weeks pregnant at this point and was continuing to master the art of crochet when it happened.

My water broke.

The nervousness took over my body. It was still too early. I know what goes on at 25 weeks outside the womb, as I’ve been researching every step of the way. I called my nurse back into my room, who just so happened to be in there a few minutes earlier. I let her know what happened and she immediately went into action. She first checked to make sure that my water did actually break. It did. They started pumping me up with medicine to stop the contractions, and wheeled me down to labor and delivery. There, I stayed for the next two days, in a  horrible little room with no windows that made it utterly depressing. The doctors assumed that my son may have kicked and busted the amniotic sac, but  it must have sealed itself back over, because the amniotic fluid was building back up. My little guy may actually have a chance to grow a little longer. That Sunday night they sent me back up to my bed in the high-risk unit.

A few short hours after being back in my high-risk room, my contractions really started to go full force. I was getting the medication about every 30 minutes or so to stop them, but it did nothing for them. My pain was felt all in my back. My son was breach, and apparently that’s where you feel them when that happens. That went on for a few hours until I was wheeled back down to labor and delivery so that we can be ready. There the medicine they were giving me to stop the contractions wasn’t working at all! I was feeling them every 15 minutes. Due to what we experienced a few days earlier, my boyfriend thought that we may not deliver that day. He left to go to work, and about 10 minutes later my OB came in to check me, she proceeded to tell the nurse that we had to go NOW! I called my boyfriend to get back to the hospital ASAP. By the time he got there, we were already headed into the operating room and they wouldn’t let him in.

So there I was again, on an operating room table awake and aware of all that was happening. I didn’t know how to react. This should be the happiest moment of my life, my son entering this world. But, it could all go wrong. I felt a little detached from the situation, trying to coach myself to not cry from what MAY happen. The nurse assured me to not be alarmed that I wouldn’t hear him cry, as his lungs are not strong enough to make a sound. Something wasn’t right though, it was taking longer than they said. My fibroid, that was the cause of all this nonsense was blocking the doctor from even reaching my son. She had no choice but to perform a Myomectomy (removal of uterine fibroids). Typically this isn’t done during a birth due to the chance of the mother losing too much blood. I remember smelling my burning flesh, a smell that is never pleasant, even after working side-by-side with the OR as my occupation. Although during a C-section you don’t experience pain, you can still feel the pressure. Having said that, I felt my son being pulled from my body, the safe haven of where he is suppose to be for another 14 weeks.

The nurse was right, I didn’t hear him cry. The NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) team rushed him out of the room, I didn’t even get a glimpse of him. They closed me up and sent me over to recovery. There is where my boyfriend met me. It sucked that he wasn’t in room when our first (and only) child was born. But he did get to see him, and recorded him too. He was so small , weighing just under 2lbs at 1 lb 14oz and a little longer than a ruler at 13 3/4in. After spending some time in recovery they took me by the NICU before heading to my room.

There he lay, in his little glass house that protects him from the world. The protection that should be given by my body. He looked like he was in pain. Squirming around trying to find a “comfortable” spot in the midst of all the wires and tubes that were now a temporary fixture to keep him alive. Here he will stay for a total of 101 days. I will share HIS story with you in a separate post.

I stayed in the hospital for a few more days to recover from my C-section and Myomectomy. The day I left was the hardest. It was the moment it all felt so real. I had been in the hospital for a total of 28 days (from the beginning of bed rest until leaving), but I’m leave empty-handed. I have no baby in my arms, no smile that I can’t get off my face. I leave my son in the care of the NICU staff and of machines that will keep him alive. He is only a few minutes drive away, but it seems forever when he is still suppose to be in my womb. I cried as I walked out. As any parent of a micro preemie knows, this isn’t the end, but the beginning of a roller coaster of emotions.

We will be participating in March for Dimes THIS Saturday (April 25th). If you find it in your heart to donate to the cause you can by my link


I have a small goal of $100, and would love to make it happen. I jumped on the team VERY late because I have been so swamped lately. Thank you in advance for any donations and simply for stopping by!!

 As we all have different pregnancy stories and birthing stories, I would love to hear yours! Please drop a line below.

Get a weekly update straight to your inbox on travel, food, diy and what's going on in Atlanta!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Hi, I'm Stacey, the face behind Eat Make Travel. I was born and raised in Michigan, currently reside in Atlanta and I have a son who doubles as my sidekick. Eat Make Travel is a lifestyle blogs where I share recipes and food that I love, travel destinations that we like frequent and craft/DIY projects along with fun around Atlanta.


Erica @ The Crumby Cupcake at
Oh, Stacey, your story broke my heart. All that time taking such good care of yourself and he still came so early. God bless all three of you in this tense time, and I truly pray that everything gets better every day for your little family. The company I work for (Publix) is very active in the March of Dimes, and I know how much good they do. Stay strong, mama!
    TheHobbyCollector at
    Thanks Erica. He is now going on 6 years old! I will share his NICU story soon, but for the most part, he is a healthy boy!❤❤
Katie at
Erin- Sixth Bloom at
Love your story!! Thanks for sharing your heart and your time to share!
    TheHobbyCollector at
    Thanks for stopping by!!
    TheHobbyCollector at
    Thanks for stopping by Erin!
Valery Brennan at
This is so heartbreaking! I'm new around here so it was a BIG sigh of relief to see your comment above that he's now 6 years old. You are a very strong woman for going through all that - thank you for sharing your story!
    TheHobbyCollector at
    Thanks for stopping by!!
angie at
I can't imagine being in the hospital for 26 days. Bedrest I don't mind, but at home. :( (SN. I love sister, sister) I'm so sorry you had to go through all that alone (that they didn't let your bf in to be by your side) That was a very heartbreaking story. You told it so well.
    TheHobbyCollector at
    Thanks so much Angie. Yes, that was hard part that they wouldn't let him in.
Tara at
What a gripping and touching story. I was reading so fast to find out what would happen next! I am so glad that the two of you made it through this experience and that your son is thriving. Can't wait to hear his story next.
    TheHobbyCollector at
    Thanks Tara!

Leave a Comment